Re: Obsession with BC

GamblerZG schrieb:
> Recently, I asked my hosting provider when they are going to switch to
> PHP5. They replied that it will not happen any time soon, since they
> will install PHP5 only on new servers. Their reasoning was simple: PHP5
> will inevitably break some old scripts, and it's just not worh all the
> trouble.

Must be the same reason why we are all still using DOS since some of the
best games just refuse to run on WinXP !? Noo...

There are a whole lot of new scripts that don't work with PHP4 so I
guess chances are the problem is already bigger in this direction (PHP5
code not running on PHP4) than in the other.

The provider arguments are FALSE! If they don't want to break old
scripts they can easily deploy both PHP4 and PHP5 as parallel
installation, either one of them as CGI or by using two Apache servers
and a proxy. The real arguemnts for the providers are

a) They are too lazy to do this
b) Two PHP versions in parallel might need more
   computing power which they refuse to invest for

AllOLLi