Re[2]: Obsession with BC, take 2

Hi,

Friday, October 14, 2005, 1:07:04 AM, you wrote:

> Let me get it straight. There are two ways of running PHP four and
> five on one server. First one is by using five's compatibility mode,
> and it breaks some of the old scripts. The second one is by using
> two different apache modules. It *does not break anything*, but it's
> a pain to setup.

There's another way - php4 runs as an Apache module, while php5 runs
as cgi (mapped to .php5, or to .php if you override it via htaccess).

Far less hassle to set-up.  Probably why the largest independent
hosting company in the world* does it this way. If they can manage it
across their thousands of servers, any host can.

* www.pair.com

Cheers,

Rich
--