Re: Obsession with BC, take 2

Richard Lynch wrote:
>> PHP developers assume that PHP5 will be frequently used to parse PHP4
>> scripts. Why?
> Because that's how the real world works.

"The real world" works that way because, as you just said, installing 2 php modules side by side is a "great deal of system administration".

And what's so horrible about using separate engines to
run
php 4 and 5 scripts?

Nothing, if you can identify which are which, and have the
infrastructure to set up both and...

It's a great deal of system administration

Let me get it straight. There are two ways of running PHP four and five on one server. First one is by using five's compatibility mode, and it breaks some of the old scripts. The second one is by using two different apache modules. It *does not break anything*, but it's a pain to setup.

Judging sheerly by functionality and compatibility the second ways is better.

However, judging from what I know about PHP, nobody tries to make that way easier, because everybody assume that everyone else use the first way. Is it good old catch 22 in action, or are there some design considerations I'm not aware of?

--
Best regards,
Roman S.I.

http://sf.net/projects/naturalgine/