Obsession with BC

Recently, I asked my hosting provider when they are going to switch to PHP5. They replied that it will not happen any time soon, since they will install PHP5 only on new servers. Their reasoning was simple: PHP5 will inevitably break some old scripts, and it's just not worh all the trouble. Such attitude is common, and it totally makes sence from a business perspective. That begs the question, why PHP developers are so worried about maintaining BC? There is a simple alternative:

<?php //parse this with mod_php4
function class_method($var){ }
?>
<?php5 //parse this with mod_php5
class clazz implements Something{
    function method($var) {
    }
}
?>

So what's the reasoning behind BC maintenanse?