Re: PHP vs. ColdFusion

Quoting Jay Paulson <jpaulson@xxxxxxxx>:

Have you tried PHP 4.x? Give that a shot and see what effects that has on the application.

I've recommended that as a troubleshooting step, and it's a great idea. If it ends up working out, I'll almost be bummed because I like some of the new features in PHP 5. The app won't require too many changes, except that it relies pretty heavily on XML, and SimpleXML made things really easy. I've never done XML processing with PHP 4, but from a brief glance at the manual, it doesn't look very simple.

Still, it's worth a shot.

You might want to post the code for your application on the list so we all can see it (remember to remove usernames, passwords, and ip #'s).

There are some really smart and innovative people on this list, and the thought had crossed my mind. But the code is pretty lengthy, and frankly I'd be embarassed to have anybody look at it :-)

It's too bad you have to use Windows and IIS. Just curious but why are they not wanting to use Linux? Do they know it's free and way less likely to be attacked?

I've made this argument numerous times. Management seemed to be receptive, and I thought they were starting to change their "Microsoft only" attitudes, so the statement from my boss that management said it "has to run on IIS" really caught me by surprise.

Thanks,
Rick
--
Rick Emery