Re: Conversion of period and space for $_GET, $_REQUEST, etc. is rather senseless

Joe Krahn wrote:
> PHP imports GET and POST data to array elements by senselessly
> converting periods and spaces to underscore. The intent is to make
> strings variable-name compatible for conversion directly into global
> variables via import_request_variables or register_globals.
>
> String-to-variable name mangling should only occur when being converted
> to variable names, but should be left as is when accessed as array
> elements. The current implementation is particularly bad because it
> mangles only periods and spaces, but leaves alone other special/unusual
> characters. Furthermore, the direct conversion into global name space is
> discouraged for security reasons.
>
> A feature-request was made related to this, but it was marked as "Won't
> Fix", primarily due to compatibility concerns. However, I think it's a
> poor design, and there must be some compatible way to move beyond this
> misfeature.
>
> Do other people really want to keep the period/space name mangling for
> array keys, and not just for variable names? And, what happens when
> importing other special characters to variable names?

The reason '.' is special is because browsers create these
period-seperated variable names automatically when clicking on an image
submit button.  Changing this will break a whole lot of applications for
no reason.

-Rasmus