RE: PHP vs. ColdFusion

Rick,

Yes a framework can be built in PHP, C# or any language but how would you
like to design something like this.

<cfpage>
 <cfframe>
  <cfinputHidden Name="test" Caption="New Record">
  <cfinputText Name="FirstName" Caption="First Name">
 </cfframe>
</cfpage>

The above is tags that I am referring to very similar to java tag libraries,
these tags read data from a database, validate and display the data like
windows .net forms in a webpage. Yes the framework took a little time to
develop, but it was worth the time invested. Now this same framework even
decides whether it is updating inserting or deleting from the database as
well as server / client side validation.

Seems to be a lot of work for such a few lines of code, the beauty is that I
have not been able to replicated the same in any other language whether it
be php, perl or even c#.

I could even do this.

<cfimport taglib="tagLocation" prefix="test"> and use it like this

<test:helloTag message="Hello" />

Now the above tag can be either coldfusion or even java tag libraries
building on even more free code that is out in the public domain.

Anyway the point is that open and closing tags do offer a lot of benefits if
you know how to use them, think of the code that the browser does to do
things like <body></body> coldfusion is the same and makes building rapid
sites very rapid.

I am not out to push coldfusion, I am just wanting to say that Coldfusion
can be used free of charge with New Atlanta's Blue Dragon. Why are you held
bent on saying you need to purchase coldfusion?

But the thing is PHP can not be delivered onto a J2EE server, coldfusion can
and that is the biggest seller to coldfusion meaning it becomes more
deployable than any other language out there across all platforms without
even installing coldfusion on that machine. PHP is not J2EE and can not be
deployed onto a J2EE server without installing php on that machine, and then
installing the application, another big selling point of coldfusion.

Anyway there are always pros and cons to any language, and yes I am biased
towards Coldfusion because it's so underrated by the fact it costs. Well it
can be used installed and used free again New Atlanta has seen to this with
Blue Dragon, but again to use the must have features you need to purchase
the product to get the features you might use. Which you need to way up, is
it worth going with something free, or could I leverage of the sms gateway
to utilise sms messaging, or even use the report tools built into coldfusion
to deliver invoices without too much effort. Or maybe you have data in a
database and need to create a pdf, with a simple tag this can be achieved as
it is built in. PHP would need to source this, time spent evaluating and
then deciding whether it mets the needs, no then look again, more time
waisted.

If it was me, I would be looking at what the project requires, which
language can be used to deliver the project on time on budget and without
purchasing or sourcing too much extra code and then trying to get it to fit
into that application. Coldfusion offers more than you think with coldfusion
7 offering sms gateways and such which you need extra applications to use in
php.

At the end of the day you, the guy around the corner and even me will use
what we need to use to get the job done. Don't get me wrong I like php, it
has a good support for free stuff, but it's a pain in the butt to configure
it into a full blown application without modifications, which some languages
have built in.