Re: Re: Apache Webserver User Survey

wow you php bunch are a vocal lot.. ;-)
no other mailing list had a peep.

ok. let me try to answer the questions.. and apologies if I offend, it isn't the intention.

the answers your have given me are great (I wish u stuck them in the survey form, but no matter)

you've just given me 2 different reasons on 'why apache' then the previous poster.

you said:
stability & 'leanness'

he said:
performance & price.

Others have also mentioned other reasons like ease of configuration, modularity and so on.

The point is each of you are unique individuals with different reasons and experiences. If no one asks, we wouldn't know, we could just make a
gut choice .. which would most likely be wrong.

now..

why demographics..

have a look at http://www.biznix.org/surveys/ for a different picture
of apache's server usage stats. people in america in fortune 500 companies use IIS more than people in 'the world' in global 500 companies... so where you live does make a difference.

who knew?

as for how we could use this information.

I put the demographic in there to see what kind of person you are, and to see if there was any correlation between where you live and how you answered. ie.. people in Europe think documentation is a big issue, while the people in the USA are more concerned about performance. (this might be because the French documentation is really bad.. which would be interesting in itself no?).

BTW.. your IP# would have given me a whole lot of this information as well. I was just being polite (and lazy.. I didn't want to implement the same thing the php website does for it's download mirroring)

and to address your other concern.. why 'PHP'..
easy.. you guys use apache and IIS. PHP is so great it can run on both..
you guys have a *choice*..
If we didn't listen to what you guys say.. you wouldn't choose us next time.

mod_perl or .NET users don't have that choice.

if you do know a IIS mailing list, please feel free to mail me..
I really couldn't find any.

Kind regards
Ian Holsman.

Rene Brehmer wrote:
Documented research indicate that on Wed, 22 Jun 2005 10:58:12 +1000, Ian