Re: Re: Apache Webserver User Survey

Documented research indicate that on Wed, 22 Jun 2005 10:58:12 +1000, Ian
Holsman wrote:

> Greg Donald wrote:
>> On 6/21/05, Al <news@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>>>Why bother.
>>>
>>>http://news.netcraft.com/archives/web_server_survey.html
>>
>> http://www.securityspace.com/s_survey/data/200504/index.html
>>
>> http://www.securityspace.com/s_survey/data/man.200504/apachemods.html
>>

> These show that apache has 70% usage, but not why.

Because it's free and can do just about any HTTP need you might have on any
platform ever made ?

I tried using IIS, both the small one that comes with Windows 2000 Pro and
XP Pro, and the full version that comes with Windows 2000/2003 server, and
it is by far nowhere as lean or stable as Apache. ... And because IIS comes
with windows, and an awful lot of companies, for gawd knows what reason,
choose windows for their servers, it remains the only real alternative to
Apache.

But at any rate: Your survey might be better aimed at the Apache and IIS
user groups, rather than the PHP groups.

And personally, I don't like the demographical info in your survey. Unless
you're doing a localization project, I don't see the relevance in it. What
people use a webserver for in Timbuktu is generally the same as in Alaska,
the different local languages aside: Serving porn sites, news and reviews,
technical and not so technical references, and community sites (those four
things happen to be what about 70% of the web consists of).

--
Rene Brehmer
aka Metalbunny

We have nothing to fear from free speech and free information on the
Internet, but pop-up advertising!

http://metalbunny.net/
My little mess of things...