Re: Re: Apache Webserver User Survey

On 6/21/05, Ian Holsman <kryton.survey@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> These show that apache has 70% usage, but not why.
>
> The survey is aimed to find out:
> - what people actually use (and how)

Most people use Apache.  How?  To serve web pages most likely.  There
are quite a few new projects using the Apache portable runtime that do
not necessarily serve up web pages however.

> - what kind of things they would like to see

In what respect?  Performance?  Price?

> - and what they want improved

I have no complaints.  Apache serves web pages just fine for me.
There may be some people who want to use Apache2 in threading mode.

> and just because apache has a 70% market share today doesn't mean that
> it will have it in a year from now.

I suspect it will be 75% or possibly higher in the next year.  But I
make a living writing PHP, not looking into crystal balls, so I might
be wrong.

> just look at the netscape browser
> for an example on how fast you can fall from being the #1 to #0.

Right, but it was a commercial product that got the rug pulled out
from underneath it by a free product, IE.  Apache is already free, so
IIS can't really do much harm there.  Lighttpd may be one to watch
however: http://www.lighttpd.net/

--
Greg Donald
Zend Certified Engineer