php login

Hello,

I need to create solution for user authentication/recognition in my web
page. I think it would be a good idea to use mysql database for storing the
user info because the user info is later used to determine what parts of
site the recognized user is allowed to update.

The site is for a soccer club that has some 30+ teams. I want to give each
team the ability to update their own information but I don't want them to be
able to mess with others info. So each team has one named "admin" to whom I
need to give the access to their team info.

I'm willing to learn to write my own scripts if I can get some info how
these things are normally handled or I can use free ready scripts if someone
can reccoment me one

BTW I am quite rookie with PHP.

Thanks a lot
-Will