Re: Minimalist permissions

Jason Wong wrote:
On Saturday 12 February 2005 11:28, Ugo Bellavance wrote:

    Please forgive me if this specific question has already been
addressed, but I'm doing tests to figure out what are the minimal
permissions I can give on my files and folders for a PHP application
and I just can't find it (even by searching this list).  Feel free to
redirect me to existing documentation that I woule have missed, if
needed.

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=php-general&m=105793487024873&w=2

Thanks, so two questions remain obscure:

If the needed permissions for standard PHP files and directories are 'r' on files and 'r-x' on directories, how can I set my umask so that files and directories are always created as such? I looked up 'man umask' and it seems to treat files and directories the same way. Maybe that is impossible, but I logged in via FTP to a server of a web hosting company, and it implements just this: creates directories as rwxr-xr-x and files as rw-r--r--.

Another thing... how should I configure ownership on the files? root as owner, apache as group and no permissions for others?