Re: Re: [users@httpd] Favorite Linux Distribution

On Wed, 09 Feb 2005 11:30:07 -0600, Joseph A Nagy Jr <jnagyjr@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Gentoo is another good one, but rather
> more advanced the Slack although the tools are very well documented and once
> you learn them you'll never consider going to another distro. I really think
> Gentoo is that good.

I agree.  No other Linux distro can compare to Gentoo when it comes to
the docs, howtos, and general community support.  Gentoo solves the
binary dependancy issues ( RPMs, yuck! ) Suse, RedHat, and Mandrake
suffer from, and along the way create a 'no need to ever upgrade'
scenario.  Even FreeBSD my second favorite *nix distro recommends a
clean install when moving from, say 4.10 to 5.3, but not Gentoo.. it's
all progressive and inclusive.

This past weekend I upgraded my friend's Gentoo box from 2004.0 to
2004.3 with no issues.  etc-update took me a while to finish, but that
was to be expected when you got 151 new conf files to merge.

> I use it myself for all my workstation and server
> needs. Good luck on finding one that suits you, though.

Yeah, too bad there's no World of Warcraft for Linux.

--
Greg Donald
Zend Certified Engineer