Re: Re: [users@httpd] Favorite Linux Distribution

On Wed, 09 Feb 2005 11:30:07 -0600, Joseph A Nagy Jr <jnagyjr@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> The Disguised Jedi wrote:
> > Hello all -
> >
> > I've been a list member for a while, helped out some people, and asked
> > some questions.  But, today I have a completely off topic, but
> > somewhat relevant question for y'all.
> >
> > What is your favorite Linux distribution?  What would you recommend
> > for my situation?
>
> Not sure what your situation is, but I'll answer anyways.
>
> > I'm brand new to Linux.  I'm just trying to learn how it works, but I
> > think I'll catch on quick.  I'm looking for the one with the most
> > capability, and also one to run my development instance of Apache 2.0
> > on.
> >
> > I've been looking at either RedHat or Fedora.  Is this a good choice?
> > I'm truly drawing a blank, and I've searched Google, but never really
> > found anything extremely useful.  Please help me, an old Windows
> > veteran, escape the Microsoft box!
>
> First off, do NOT go RedHat or Fedora. Both are abominations of Linuxdom and
> are as bloated as Windows. My recommendation for a good binary install
> distro is Slackware. Minimal set of tools installed for a base system so
> there is no bloat right off the bat. Gentoo is another good one, but rather
> more advanced the Slack although the tools are very well documented and once
> you learn them you'll never consider going to another distro. I really think
> Gentoo is that good. I use it myself for all my workstation and server
> needs. Good luck on finding one that suits you, though.
>
> > Thanks a ton!!

I very much disagree. I am writing this on my Fedora Core 3 box and am
very happy with it's 'bloat'. As a new convert form windows I am kinda
used to everything being there at my fingertips. And in Fedora,
everything is, except mp3 support which I added easily with synaptic
(the apt gui). I know that I will outgrow this distro, and follow this
thread because I am looking for in which direction to grow. But I am
very glad that I found Fedora because SUSE, slack, and a few others
were way too over my head to get started. I almost gave up.

Tips:
-If you need support for languages other than english, make sure that
yor distro has it built in (Fedora has built in hebrew support for
me). Adding it as a newbie is not easy.
-Try a live CD beforehand, to check that your hardware will work.
-Dont erase windows just yet! You'll know when it's time. Or more
accuratly, you'll know that you haven't gotten to that point just yet!
-make sure that your ISP will help you setup the internet. I had a
real mess with mine, and even switched ISPs. The former ISP's tech
support's first qestion was "what windows version are you using" and
if the answer wasn't endorsed by redmont, well, you had no one to talk
with!
-linuxquestions.org forums!

Dotan Cohen