Re: array search

Ah so  -- array_search only works on values ?

 That probably accounts for my first day or so, thanks.
I've got it now.

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 19:22:32 +0100, M. Sokolewicz <tularis@xxxxxxx> wrote:

Malcolm wrote:

  Hello All,
   I've been trying for days now to make this work.
I'm trying to search my array for a value and return the key.
I get the visitor's IP and try this  -- this is the latest,
I've tried a few functions to echo the name associated with the viz_ip.
  $viz_ip= $_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR'];
 $byte_ip= array(
 "204.126.202.56"=>"Mark",
 "63.230.76.166"=>"Bob",
 "63.220.76.165"=>"John",
);
 function _array_search ($viz_ip, $byte_ip) {
    foreach($byte_ip as $key => $val) {
        if ($viz_ip === $key) {
           return($val);
       }
    }
    return(False);
   }
  I'm no wiz but this shouldn't be this hard, maybe I'm thinking wrong.
I've read the examples at php.net but I just can't get it. Some help
or even a hint ?
 best regards,
malcolm

I might be the only one to notice here, but you don't want to find the KEY, you want to find the VALUE. Otherwise, you'll need to assemble your array differently.

$viz_ip= $_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR'];
$byte_ip= array(
    "204.126.202.56"=>"Mark",
    "63.230.76.166"=>"Bob",
    "63.220.76.165"=>"John"
);

That means:
$byte_ip[$viz_ip] = some_name;

That's because you have ips set as your *keys*, and not your values. To do what you wanted, simply either:
a) reverse the array, making keys values and values keys:
$byte_ip= array(
"Mark"=>"204.126.202.56",
"Bob"=>"63.230.76.166",
"John"=>"63.220.76.165"
);

or:
b) change the function to match on key (for which you don't *need* a function).

- Tul

-- Ommmm