Re: configure problems with GD

Fortunately, after a lot of investigation I can report back on this.

I have been through about 10 cycles of rebuilding the server from scratch to
a standard build.
(it's a rented dedicated server with an option to 're-install operating
system')

I can now successfully rebuild using 5.2.5. Having been through many
options, I think the configuration that made the difference was to configure
libjpeg with
./configure --enable-shared --enable-static
to ensure creating all neccessary files.

To prevent an error ('can't find -ltdl') make sure mcrypt is
configured/built with
--enable-ltdl-install
This error only seems to occur when building with mysql and is not picked up
during 'configure'.

I now have a good script that will build and install the following from
source:
zlib
lincurl
libpng
libjpeg
libxml2
openssl
mhash
libmcrypt
libncurses (essential for mysql)
mysql
and of course, php!

I have successfully tested for php versions 5.2.4 and 5.2.5

My most recent tests have been run on a Fedora 6 server.

If there is demand I'd be happy to publish a page with the contents of my
entire installation scripts.