configure problems with GD

Hi

I've been trying to upgrade a  (Linux, Fedora 5) server to:
 Apache 2.2.8
 PHP 5.2.5
 MySQL 5.0.51a

using similar configurations/options to the current installation
(Apache2.0.x,PHP 5.0.16)

I started with PHP and succeeded (having installed and built from source
Zlib, LibXML, libpng, jpeg-v6b) in building a new CGI/CLI version
without MySQL, but including GD.

I then built MySQL without problem.

Rebuilt PHP with MySQL. No problem.

I then built Apache. I had to rebuild zlib (with the ./configure -s option)

I attempted to rebuild PHP with apxs, it failed with a
"If configure fails try --with-xpm-dir=<DIR>"

I re-attempted without apxs (using my last auccessful configuation script)
it continues to fail on gd/xpm.

I have attempted to build libgd 2.0.35 (failed duing make)
I have attempted to build libgd 2.0.34. Succeeded.

Rebuilding PHP now fails with
"configure: error: GD build test failed. Please check the config.log for
details."
(after several failed gd function tests  eg checking for gdImageString16
in -lgd... no)

What am I doing wrong?
What other information should I provide to help diagnose this?

Mike