Re: configure problems with GD

On Fri, 28 Mar 2008, Mike Price wrote:

To: php-install@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Mike Price <hk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject:  configure problems with GD

Hi

I've been trying to upgrade a  (Linux, Fedora 5) server to:
Apache 2.2.8
PHP 5.2.5
MySQL 5.0.51a

using similar configurations/options to the current installation
(Apache2.0.x,PHP 5.0.16)

I started with PHP and succeeded (having installed and built from source
Zlib, LibXML, libpng, jpeg-v6b) in building a new CGI/CLI version
without MySQL, but including GD.

I then built MySQL without problem.

Rebuilt PHP with MySQL. No problem.

I then built Apache. I had to rebuild zlib (with the ./configure -s option)

I attempted to rebuild PHP with apxs, it failed with a
"If configure fails try --with-xpm-dir=<DIR>"

I re-attempted without apxs (using my last auccessful configuation script) it continues to fail on gd/xpm.

I have attempted to build libgd 2.0.35 (failed duing make)
I have attempted to build libgd 2.0.34. Succeeded.

Rebuilding PHP now fails with "configure: error: GD build test failed. Please check the config.log for details." (after several failed gd function tests eg checking for gdImageString16 in -lgd... no)

What am I doing wrong? What other information should I provide to help diagnose this?

Mike

You need to compile PHP last against Apache and MySQL. There's no need to compile MySQL - just use the pre-compiled statically linked binary. PHP is the 'glue' to connect everything together last. So if you compile Apache first, then install the MySQL binary, then compile PHP last against these, you might be up and running then.

HTH

Keith Roberts

Websites:
http://www.php-debuggers.net