GD2? Freetype?

I have built and installed PHP 4.4.2 on FreeBSD 4.7

I am trying to run Guestbook Script from http://www.stadtaus.com

After installation and configuration, I get an error
   Fatal error: Call to undefined function: imagettfbbox()

I asked for help on the Guestbook Script forum where I was only told that
an important extension which provides the PHP function ... is missing on your
server." Well, Duh!

A Google search turns up old mailing list discussions alleging that
imagettfbbox is a "standard PHP function, depending on the GD library and the
FreeType library".

I rebuilt PHP, configured with

./configure --with-mysql=/usr/local/mysql \
            --with-apxs=/usr/local/etc/apache/bin/apxs \
            --with-zlib --with-gd --with-gettext \
            --with-ttf --enable-gd-native-ttf

I seem to have GD. I seem to be missing FreeType?

 php -i
 gd

 GD Support => enabled
 GD Version => bundled (2.0.28 compatible)
 GIF Read Support => enabled
 GIF Create Support => enabled
 PNG Support => enabled
 WBMP Support => enabled
 XBM Support => enabled

I find the configure help to be ambiguous.
  --with-gd[=DIR]         Include GD support where DIR is GD install prefix.
                          If DIR is not set, the bundled GD library will be
used.
  --with-jpeg-dir[=DIR]     GD: Set the path to libjpeg install prefix.
  --with-png-dir[=DIR]      GD: Set the path to libpng install prefix.
  --with-zlib-dir[=DIR]     GD: Set the path to libz install prefix.
  --with-xpm-dir[=DIR]      GD: Set the path to libXpm install prefix.
  --with-ttf[=DIR]          GD: Include FreeType 1.x support
  --with-freetype-dir[=DIR] GD: Set the path to FreeType 2 install prefix.
  --with-t1lib[=DIR]        GD: Include T1lib support.
  --enable-gd-native-ttf    GD: Enable TrueType string function.
  --enable-gd-jis-conv      GD: Enable JIS-mapped Japanese font support.

I am apparently using the "bundled" GD library.

 Which of the other GD flags do I need to add?
 Are any of the other GD flags included with --with-gd?   (not clear)
 Is the bundled FreeType (Freetype 1?) sufficient?
    it doesn't seem to be included under --with-gd
 Do I need to specify FreeType2?
    If so, configure --help implies that I need to get that from somewhere
    else...  but where???

 I have installed gd 2.0.33 ... if it included FreeType the "install prefix"
eludes me. In any case, trying to use --with-gd=/usr/lib gives me php
configure errors

I downloaded and installed FreeType 2 and reconfigured php as
  ./configure' '--with-mysql=/usr/local/mysql'
  '--with-apxs=/usr/local/etc/apache/bin/apxs' '--with-zlib' '--with-gd'
  '--with-gettext' '--with-freetype-dir=/usr/local/lib

I don't see any obvious changes in the PHP info results and I get the same
error from the application.

Help??

--
- Vicki

     ZZZ
  zzZ                   San Francisco Bay Area, CA
 z  |\     _,,,---,,_   Books, Cats, Tech
zz /,`.-'`'    -.  ;-;;,_  http://cfcl.com/vlb
 '---''(_/--'  `-'\_)      http://vlb.typepad.com/commentary/