Re: GD2? Freetype?

Vicki Brown wrote:
I have built and installed PHP 4.4.2 on FreeBSD 4.7

I am trying to run Guestbook Script from http://www.stadtaus.com

After installation and configuration, I get an error
   Fatal error: Call to undefined function: imagettfbbox()

I asked for help on the Guestbook Script forum where I was only told that
an important extension which provides the PHP function ... is missing on your
server." Well, Duh!

A Google search turns up old mailing list discussions alleging that
imagettfbbox is a "standard PHP function, depending on the GD library and the
FreeType library".

I rebuilt PHP, configured with

./configure --with-mysql=/usr/local/mysql \
            --with-apxs=/usr/local/etc/apache/bin/apxs \
            --with-zlib --with-gd --with-gettext \
            --with-ttf --enable-gd-native-ttf

I seem to have GD. I seem to be missing FreeType?

 php -i
 gd

 GD Support => enabled
 GD Version => bundled (2.0.28 compatible)
 GIF Read Support => enabled
 GIF Create Support => enabled
 PNG Support => enabled
 WBMP Support => enabled
 XBM Support => enabled

I find the configure help to be ambiguous.
  --with-gd[=DIR]         Include GD support where DIR is GD install prefix.
                          If DIR is not set, the bundled GD library will be
used.
  --with-jpeg-dir[=DIR]     GD: Set the path to libjpeg install prefix.
  --with-png-dir[=DIR]      GD: Set the path to libpng install prefix.
  --with-zlib-dir[=DIR]     GD: Set the path to libz install prefix.
  --with-xpm-dir[=DIR]      GD: Set the path to libXpm install prefix.
  --with-ttf[=DIR]          GD: Include FreeType 1.x support
  --with-freetype-dir[=DIR] GD: Set the path to FreeType 2 install prefix.
  --with-t1lib[=DIR]        GD: Include T1lib support.
  --enable-gd-native-ttf    GD: Enable TrueType string function.
  --enable-gd-jis-conv      GD: Enable JIS-mapped Japanese font support.

I am apparently using the "bundled" GD library.

 Which of the other GD flags do I need to add?
 Are any of the other GD flags included with --with-gd?   (not clear)
 Is the bundled FreeType (Freetype 1?) sufficient?
    it doesn't seem to be included under --with-gd
 Do I need to specify FreeType2?
    If so, configure --help implies that I need to get that from somewhere
    else...  but where???

 I have installed gd 2.0.33 ... if it included FreeType the "install prefix"
eludes me. In any case, trying to use --with-gd=/usr/lib gives me php
configure errors

I downloaded and installed FreeType 2 and reconfigured php as
  ./configure' '--with-mysql=/usr/local/mysql'
  '--with-apxs=/usr/local/etc/apache/bin/apxs' '--with-zlib' '--with-gd'
  '--with-gettext' '--with-freetype-dir=/usr/local/lib

I don't see any obvious changes in the PHP info results and I get the same
error from the application.

Help??

This is EXACTLY the problem I had when I installed php5, and never found the solution. GD support seemed to be there, but not Freetype. Tried installing Freetype and GD fresh, but still no support. Had to back out to my previous instal of php because I do need Freetype...