Re: colors

I think the point they made quite well was that Pantone was releasing a colour to the market, specifically promoting it's tie in to the film franchise. Sure, if i'm just just looking for a vague yellow colour for a plant seed packet then no harm done.. maybe.

But hey - who'd pick that colour randomly? The fact that Pantone is highlighting it as a specific 'cute' colour means people will be specifically choosing it - it has been brought to their attention. Not just to Time-Warner, not to toy manufacturers, but to the pantone buying market.

So you pick this colour for the next colour release of an anthropomorphic bubble shaped car, a whimsical costume, a child's toy of any description, a confectionary products font .. then you've already declared you deliberately used a 'Minion' color - how can that be anything but trying to cash in on another's market? .. and thus leave you wide open to face litigation.

I think the point is well made.. I certainly wouldn't touch the colour. Has there been a coke red car? No chance.. does anyone use coke red?
interesting thought.. what is Coke Red?

According to one source, the US patent and trademark office http://tsdr.uspto.gov/#caseNumber=78149708&caseType=SERIAL_NO&searchType=statusSearch records it as this: http://pantonecolors.org/pantone-484.php

but that drab effort appears to have been lodged in 2002. I read elsewhere that Coke's red is not represented in a Pantone colour range - maybe for the reasons made in the original article. Why thow open a marketable colour to the world?