Re: best focal length for portraits?

I did an informal portrait lighting class to a local group and demonstrated this effect. It really has to do with camera to subject distance. If you are framing a head and shoulder portrait with an 85mm lens you will be far enough away so the difference in distance from the nose tip to the eyes is minimal. The same framing with a 28mm lens distorts the features significantly. The difference between an 85mm lens and something longer is not much but with the longer lens you will be much further from the subject getting in the way of communications.

I then did a portrait of the model with a 28mm lend at the 85mm distance. When cropped, the portrait looked like the original 85mm image. I placed samples in a Dropbox folder at: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/7sas9rj7xm7n42r/AAC6cumiNFLSmfYp4iD4KUT7a?dl=0

#35 is the 85mm lens
#38 is the 28mm lens close
#39 is the 28mm lens far and cropped

Mark Harris
gsphotoguy@xxxxxxx
http://www.gsphotoguy.com

I’ve pondered about this for a while … which is the most appropriate focal length lens to use for portraiture (head/shoulders) and which is the most “flattering”? I realize that it would vary for different sensor formats. So pick a format. Or is distance between subject and camera the major deciding factor?

Andy