Re: best focal length for portraits?

When I started in photography most of my learning was from retired pros in a camera club and from the pros that frequented the camera shop I worked in.  And experiencing what I was told.

Most said that focal lengths between 85mm and 100mm although 135mm was sometime acceptable.  These focal lengths keep the photographer far enough away from the subject allowed the subject to be a bit relaxed.

Wide angles were not used because of the "wide angle effect" and longer focal lengths began showing the the compression effect.

That was back in the film days.  I use the same lengths with my 5D2 and try to get the equivalent with my 50D

Bob