Re: Second monitor suggestions/help

Not sure if the facility exists on macs sorry, but on windows machines the ability is there to show other resolutions not specified by the video card.. these are not normally listed because they can result in damage to the monitor, related to refresh rates (which is not really a thing with LCD's, although they can easily fall outside the monitors limitations and leave you with a blank screen). Some fiddling with settings can usually get a monitor driving acceptably.

I read the apple 20" cinema display as yielding 1680x 1050.

and you wrote:
The new Dell is 23.8" and resolution is 1900 x 1080

I see from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_Pro that the 2008 lists Mac Pro lists 3 video cards as standard or optional, these were ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT, the nVidia GeForce 8800 and the nVidia Quadro FX 5600 (an expensive card!)

I read the respective resolutions of these cards as:
ATI Radeon HD 2600 : DVI: 2560 x 1600 / VGA: 2048 x 1536

nVidia GeForce 8800  :  DVI2 560x1600   VGA: 2048x1536
http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-8800-gt/specifications

nVidia Quadro FX 5600 a stupid high 3840 x 2400
http://www.nvidia.com/object/quadro_fx_5600_4600_features.html

All of these strike me as within the parameters of your monitor.

As I said though I am ignorant about how mac video settings can be altered beyond the parameters of what the card thinks what monitor it is talking to. Are thr folks at Dell able to advise you at all? What model Dell is it?

----- Original Message ----- From: "Lea Murphy" <lea@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> To: "List for Photo/Imaging Educators - Professionals - Students" <photoforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, November 05, 2014 11:28 AM
Subject: Second monitor suggestions/help

Perhaps someone on this list has experienced this and can help.

I'm using an early 2008 Mac Pro tower with Mavericks installed. Up until this morning I used two Apple Cinema displays. My secondary monitor, a 20 inch Apple Cinema, gave up the ship yesterday and wouldn't give a picture at all today.

I purchased a Dell ultra high resolution, not 4K, monitor, brought it home, hooked it up VGA to DMI and despite messing in my preferences I could never get the screen on the second monitor to look natural and not stretched.

At the recommendation of tech-support I went with a DMI to HDMI cable, skipping VGA completely, and couldn't get a picture on the second monitor at all.

Am I missing something?Surely there's a monitor out there of high resolution that will work on my older computer.

I'm open to suggestions, ideas, troubleshooting workarounds.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Lea

your kids . my camera . we'll click