Second monitor suggestions/help

Perhaps someone on this list has experienced this and can help.

I'm using an early 2008 Mac Pro tower with Mavericks installed. Up until this morning I used two Apple Cinema displays. My secondary monitor, a 20 inch Apple Cinema, gave up the ship yesterday and wouldn't give a picture at all today.

I purchased a Dell ultra high resolution, not 4K, monitor, brought it home, hooked it up VGA to DMI and despite messing in my preferences I could never get the screen on the second monitor to look natural and not stretched.

At the recommendation of tech-support I went with a DMI to HDMI cable, skipping VGA completely, and couldn't get a picture on the second monitor at all.

Am I missing something?Surely there's a monitor out there of high resolution that will work on my older computer.

I'm open to suggestions, ideas, troubleshooting workarounds.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Lea

your kids . my camera . we'll click