Re: sheen and iridiscence?

Don Roberts
"This bug was one of the most highly iridescent I have seen. That has always shown up well on film before. This time digital did not capture it. Is this characteristic of digital capture"

my answer - maybe, it depends on the bug

after all, some colours we see on insects (and birds feathers) are not actually 'colours' but a perception of colour eminating from refraction, interference or diffraction rather than pigment

see here for more info:
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/jmor.1052020106/abstract

I have experience with diffraction causing colour renderings to go askew in digital imaging where the sensors are more rigidly structured than random grains in film, occasionally it can be overcome by changing the distance at which the subject is photographed.

karl