Re: Question re: payment from outside of US

In 2006, after spending 5 weeks in France, I returned my rental car to the Gare du NOrd area of Paris, only to find that National Car’s local agency had not told me where to return it. Not knowing what to do, I parked it on the street, emptied it, and went into the station with childhood French which is still passable and told the staffer where the car was and gave her the contract and the keys.
What did she do with the info? Nothing. So a month later I received a bill from Citer for €3600 ($4800) for cleaning, washing, parking fines, towing, extra rental days, and other fees. I had to have my lawyer fight them off and he did so by going to their US owner which may still be Hertz.
It was almost the best $800 I ever spent. I guess this is the thanks we get for freeing France from the nazis.
Jan