Green screen question

Hi,

Does anyone on the list know anything about using green screen for stills rather than moving image?

I have a load of work coming up in schools, involving shooting kids dressed up in period costume, in a studio set-up against a plain backdrop, to be cut out and dropped into a (previously shot) historically appropriate background. I'm unsure what the easiest backdrop to use would be...I had planned to just use a white or grey backdrop, for ease of cut out, but it occurred to me that a green screen might actually easier. I know green screen (and whichever accompanying software you use) is meant for moving image, rather than stills, but wondered if you could apply it to stills, and save a file (preferably a jpg) with the background already cut out and deleted. And if so, what software do I need, or should I just use photoshop?

Any help appreciated.

Cheers,
Jonathan.
--