Re: PF members exhibit Sept 07, 2013

My best (and only) photo professor at the college level, almost failed me and said I would never be a photographer good enough to work for his employer: NGS. He was a great instigator and when I was at NGS one afternoon turning in a 3-month assignment, I had to stop by his office to see if he had the faintest idea of whether or not I had been student of his to whom he gave a C. He ha no clue, but I was told the other editors razzed him for more than a year over the former student who had been a POY winner and a shooter for NGS.

It has been my experience that passion is 99% of what it takes to become a photographer, and as an example, I can use a guy I helped to get in to RIT for an MFA. It took him several years to put together a derivative thesis show (Baltz, Shore, etc.), as he was without passion for much of anything other than socializing and watching football. When he shoots for himself, his well thought out and well composed shots are memorable and even though we don’t care for each other, I have a print of his on my wall. I wish I had another called “Slabs”, which is an absolute stunner. I hoped Alex would shoot more, but I an’t make him do anything if there is no passion.