Re: PF members exhibit Sept 07, 2013

Andy you are absolutely right.  I learned as much from assisting Irvine Penn, Joyce Tenneson, Ryzard Horowitz and Arnold Newman as I probably did in school.   Of course I probably Learned More from Allan Vogel then I did from anyone else.    Now I realize they all have decades of experience but they all did one thing more.    I will say this though reading a book is the slow train.   One of the most important aspects or learning is asking questions.    This was the foundation of the Univ. of Paris and all the first Universities.   There where no classes just people who has succeeded passing on knowledge in lectures.    Where would Michael Angelo have been without Ghirlandaio    Davinci without Verrocchio.   Michael could have stayed painting copies of the great works on his own and might have been a masterful painter.   Without Ghirlandaio the most noted Frescoist of his time in Italy we probably wouldn't have the some of the most famous paintings on earth being done by Michelangelo.   As he would have never been sent to study then at Humanist academy under the other great artist.
All the great artist (including photographers) have one thing very much in common.   They studied art.   That doesn't mean in a school per say.  But it does mean they did more then read a book.   It is however much simplier to descirbe what makes human vision happy by pointing to the research done by others to describe how the majority of  humans look at a scene.    Discounting that is like discounting the works in other field like say Einstein in Physics.    The brain works the way the brain works.  You either work with that to make it a happy brain visually or you with the knowledge of how it works do things that fight against that.  The adage of knowing the rules to break the rules applies.   As an artist of any kind your are trying to make the viewer look at what you want them to look at.  No?  So if you don't at least of an innate understanding of why things work you are going to fail.  I don't even think that means making pretty pictures that are pleasing.   I love to make some disturbing visual works.   Probably based on my liking Charles Ives.  I know what I am doing though and I am doing it on purpose.      Now true editorial documentary work has it caveats as you work in an uncontrolled environment but the basic composition usually still exist.    ie   this shot from Vietnam.  http://also.kottke.org/misc/images/vietnam-war-02.jpg
or this shot from Dday.   http://www.alistairscott.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/robert_capa_dday.jpg

Both magically follow the basic rules of composition (of which visual hierarchy is ONE or several)

 Now I would bet no one can't pick 10 images from this that don't follow the basic rules of composition.  I would guess that Jack was influenced by this artist.

http://tinyurl.com/ns67eqg   Every shot that we see is properly composed some he sat for hours waiting for the shot to happen.

Randy S. Little
http://www.rslittle.com/