Re: June 1, 2013 Reviews

On Jun 5, 2013, at 1:12 PM, David Dyer-Bennet wrote:

A lot of people using Hasselblads were using a 150mm for portraits, weren't they?  That's what the one wedding guy in town had, at least. Back in the 70s doing portraits in 35mm was a pretty amateur thing (which I was, and am, with occasional semi-pro excursions).

I feel certain that I am one of a very small number of shooters who never used a Hassie. Squares just bothered me, and by the time I got to the Dalai Lama, we had an argument stretching across a couple of days about the virtues of the square (balance) and the rotating back Mamiya (flexible). OF course Hasselblad had done his up in a nice orange leather to match his robes. He showed me a small stack of b/w 5x5” prints he had made of single trees in bloom. The exciting thing about them was that he had made them.

The Nikkor 105 was a good lens - much sharper than the 85 (which is sitting on the shelf behind me still attached to my first 1970 NIkkormat). Within a decade I had traded my Nikons for Canons for even money. People just got sucked in by the Nikon ads.

Art Faul

The Artist Formerly Known as Prints
------
Camera Works - The Washington Post