Re: June 1, 2013 Reviews

Not to be argumentative or anything (on *this* list? never happens), but
if the aspect ratios were created from psychological studies, then why the
success of the 6x6 format? Was that also done because of a psychological
study, or was it done to thumb their noses at the psychological studies?

I just don't believe that the formats are such as they are because of
psychological studies. In fact, the 4:3 standard was done to mimic the
human eye angle of vision:

"A 4:3 ratio mimics human eyesight visual angle of 155°h x 120°v, that is
4:3.075, almost exactly the same." --
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspect_ratio_(image)

But 35mm and DSLRs are 3:2, and of course 6x6 is 1:1.

That page is an interesting read, by the way.

However, to the original point of cropping versus not cropping: stating
that cropping to a different composition cannot help a photograph taken
with a "worse" composition is poppycock and balderdash. It is just a tool,
certainly, but quite a useful too.

Andrew