Re: June 1, 2013 Reviews

..

----- Original Message ----- From: <asharpe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

However, to the original point of cropping versus not cropping: stating
that cropping to a different composition cannot help a photograph taken
with a "worse" composition is poppycock and balderdash. It is just a tool,
certainly, but quite a useful too.

I agree, it's another of those myths/techniques elevated by Cartier-Bresson, bless him.. that and The Decisive Moment <cough>. Great marketing tools for him though. Not quite as grand as AA's zone system - everyone else just had to cope with the far less dramatic 'expose for the shadows, develop for the highlights'.

Who else created Great Standards of Photography that energized everyone into adopting particular styles?

I know one of the filter makers did with starlight filters, but they were corporate, however I need the names! we have to know who to blame!