Re: remotely activated shutter for pinhole cameras

----- Original Message ----- From: "Randy Little" <randyslittle@xxxxxxxxx> To: "List for Photo/Imaging Educators - Professionals - Students" <photoforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, June 03, 2013 12:05 PM
Subject: Re: remotely activated shutter for pinhole cameras

Yes this would just be for testing.  Before scaling up I think.
On Jun 2, 2013 11:56 PM, "Andrew Davidhazy" <andpph@xxxxxxx> wrote:

On Jun 2, 2013, at 11:28 PM, Randy Little wrote:

> funny thing is I bet if you went to buy those actuators in that car > they
would cost more then $10 once you added all the radio control.     Im in
techy mode because I am having to build some new camera/lighting rigs for a
movie I start on in a few months.  I was looking at a laser trip for  one
set up but I think I could just use exactly this little remote set up like this as the trigger when the dolly get to the trip point for testing before
i have to get expensive.    have you had an issues with signal failures?
 My little car always seems to work here in my studio haha.

Randy,

It is amazing that the price can be so low on these Chinese made products
when you look at all the parts that have to be made to assemble a toy
remote control car! For your last point I have not had a failure of the
radio control but it is probably not one that will work at a large distance
even though the instructions say (I think I remember correctly) 80 feet.
I've tested it to about 25 feet and the response was 100% reliable.

Still, your get what you pay for and probably for a more sophisticated
system you'd want to invest in a higher class remote control device. In
this (my) case the cheaper direction actually probably was helpful because
I did not want motors of such high torque that stopping them while
powered-up would be a problem.

Getting late and mind getting cloudy!

Andy

it's kind of funny but I find myself going back to wired these days for a lot of things in preference to wireless. Building a pipe-crawler (I could just use a ferret, but I don't trust either of our little darlings) I wanted not just drive but vision, sound and robotic controls.. I was fiddling around with remote controls for a bit before looking into a 802.11 wireless rig and something like a Raspberry Pi and a laptop to do all the work when I stopped myself and squiggled up the circuit needed for wired operation and decided it was going to give me a more reliability, functionality, a lighter unit with more power AND I could retrieve the thing easier by hauling on a cable line rather than digging a swimming pool should something go wrong.

saying all that, a T/R circuit pair are cheap as chips these days either in a discarded RC car or as modular boards: ( $1.39 AUD total here on ebay http://tinyurl.com/lfs3lqe ) for either purely electrical applications like triggering, or couple that with the ridiculously priced ($AUD 2.60) stepper motor and controller board http://tinyurl.com/m38drnx for mechanical applications and there's really nothing to loose ..