Re: remotely activated shutter for pinhole cameras

On Jun 2, 2013, at 11:28 PM, Randy Little wrote:

> funny thing is I bet if you went to buy those actuators in that car they would cost more then $10 once you added all the radio control.     Im in techy mode because I am having to build some new camera/lighting rigs for a movie I start on in a few months.  I was looking at a laser trip for  one set up but I think I could just use exactly this little remote set up like this as the trigger when the dolly get to the trip point for testing before i have to get expensive.    have you had an issues with signal failures?  My little car always seems to work here in my studio haha.

Randy,

It is amazing that the price can be so low on these Chinese made products when you look at all the parts that have to be made to assemble a toy remote control car! For your last point I have not had a failure of the radio control but it is probably not one that will work at a large distance even though the instructions say (I think I remember correctly) 80 feet. I've tested it to about 25 feet and the response was 100% reliable.

Still, your get what you pay for and probably for a more sophisticated system you'd want to invest in a higher class remote control device. In this (my) case the cheaper direction actually probably was helpful because I did not want motors of such high torque that stopping them while powered-up would be a problem.

Getting late and mind getting cloudy!

Andy