Re: remotely activated shutter for pinhole cameras

Randy,

My total costs in parts were about $15 and that included 5 AA batteries. Unfortunately I am not into commercial production.

A remote control circuit from this toy car (bought at Radio Shack for about $9.75) controls one of the motors pulled out of the car's frame and it is fed by the left-right activator of the receiver (I think one could also use the forward/reverse lever). Of course I dismantled the car's plastic body separating from it the receiver and the drive motors. The shaft of the motor chosen (they are identical) has a 3 inch or so diameter cardboard disk attached to it so that the motor would make it spin right or left depending on signal received. The torque of the motor is quite low so it is not a major problem to attach some kind of "stop" pins on the disk and a "rod" on the motor body located between the stop pins. I chose about a 90 degree turn as useful. The motor and disk assembly can be made useful in several ways. I chose to glue it next to the receiver body and then I can set the whole thing on top of my pinhole camera. Using two-sided Scotch tape I attached a "vane" of sorts so it would hang down when the motor shaft's stop pins was touching the stop rod and covering the pinhole. The width of this black paper vane is about 2-3 inches.That way when activating the motor the vane would fly to one side and uncover the pinhole. To prevent return to the "pinhole covered" position I installed a "drag" "thingy" that would help the vane stay in its "open" place even with power off to the motor. In case this does not work then one simply holds the left/right control lever in one position keeping the vane in place for the duration of the exposure then go the other way to "close" it to end exposure. ETC.

I think I explained the construction details but I may have made a mistake. If so I apologize. I am working on that illustrated "article" I mentioned.

Andy form Rochester