Re: A difference of Opinion

Jan,
Some seeds of wisdom there. But rather wrapped in verbosity with a hint of self aggrandizement. But then again you do have things to be modest about.
Herschel

On 3/17/2013 11:18 AM, Jan Faul wrote:

Yoram’s dissection of this week’s photographs is his slapdash opinion. To me it appears that he is making simplistic statements about a field he is currently studying. According to his website, he hasn’t been doing photography all that long, and yet here he is trying to analyze the vision of others.

It has been my experience that good photographers dissemble their views of the world around them. Most hold their best conversations through their images. Through the Photoforum Gallery there is an opportunity to read a photographer’s real intentions as there is no jurying here. I feel that submitting work here has the potential for educating others and displaying my shifting passions in photography. Some members here steadfastly refuse to see anything other than the obvious in any of the images displayed, often including their own. Photography is still an art where one has to read a photograph to discover the intention of its maker.

During my life I have watched various photographers work in their studios or on location and to be in the presence of art being created is always a joy to behold even if the photographer is shooting something I wouldn’t shoot. To whom am I referring? This is a partial list: Ansel Adams, Dick Avedon, Arnold Newman, Steve Szabo, Eliot Erwitt, Andrew Davidhazy, Walker Evans, David Plowden, Jodi Cobb, Palma Allen, Ken Regan, Howard Baker, Dvid Hume Kennerly, Dirck Halstead, David Burnett, Larry Fink, John Eley, Len Rizzi, Patrice Gilbert, Dennis Brack, Paul Conklin, Neil Liefer, and others too numerous to mention. I am no longer young and what do I have to show for it? I have a certain vision of the world and being a photographer has definitely widened my horizons.

Rather than let Yoram slice up photographs he may not understand, my suggestion would be that he save up some dough and take a trip to Maine this summer for a workshop in photography on the topic of his choice. The same is true for the others here who hack away at the photographs like bad golfers. Learn more and think about what you’re going to criticize before you do so. I rarely give a flying fig about criticism and that is mostly because as noted I am no longer young and my skin is now very thick.
Before you begin a criticism with “Sorry, it is just another...” try a little harder to imagine what creating something from within takes, and then apply that thought to your own vision. I think Randy’s shot this week shows incredible perception and great skill in just seeing that scene with enough foresight to record it in all its glory. It’s the kind of shot I’d like to see on LF film and also the kind of shot which diminishes the power of a NEX 7. It’s an image worthy of a painter named Alfred Bierstadt.

Jan