Re: PF members exhibit 09-01-2012

At 7:47 AM -0400 9/1/12, Andrew Davidhazy wrote:
The PhotoForum members' gallery/exhibit space was updated Sept. 01, 2012. Authors with work now on display at: http://people.rit.edu/andpph/gallery.html include:

               Yoram Gelman - Datong Grotto Buddha

My first reaction was claustrophobia. Not only did the creators of this sculpture excavate a cavity for it, but then spent hours sculpting the actual thing. I wondered how much debris suddenly scraped down the side of the wall as one chisel stroke slipped and released more stone than intended. Brrr.

As for the image itself, the balance between the window light and the darkness at the bottom is really well handled, and the angle the photographer chose to shoot the Buddha is just right.

               Jan Faul -

I like the perspective which accentuates the curve of the building facade as well as of the street. The fugitive people, combined with the spot color on one of them makes the image self-consciously "not your standard shot" but I'm not certain either motif adds more than that.

               Mario Filipe Pires - Gothan Rising

The half supine angle of the buildings seems to be in opposition to the title, although I suppose the image could have been taken during an earthquake in process. Not having spent any time with instagram, I have no clear idea of just what its features are and how they affect the image. Are they responsible for the vignetting, the texture, the flare around the edge of the shadows? If so, why are these effects attractive to the photographer?

               Bob McCulloch - NY harbor

Nice clouds, rather dark overall. I think this would be improved by less water.

               Elson T. Elizaga - Lake Apo

Always good to have content in foreground water when the water area occupies more than 50% of the total image. The greens seem not quite real - possibly the saturation overall is pushed too hard. Nice repertorial image.

               Michael Hughes - Narrow boats in Northamptonshire

Too much water in the foreground. I would prefer to have some shoreline on the R side even if no narrowboat was tied up there at the moment. So I'd move well to the left to get this situation. There are clouds in the sky - pushing the saturation and contrast would bring them out as well as brightening up the reds in the boats. The image feels to me like it wants to be crisper and more contrasty.

               Christopher Strevens - getting closer

I admire Chris for simultaneously recording this piece of his mum's life and for sharing it with us. Many of us may have watched this process in our elders. I certainly did with both of mine. And it can be heart wrenching, or go on way too long and leave us feeling the inhumanity of it all. About the only thing I'd suggest here is that Chris let himself do some thoughtful cropping and, again and again, consider changing his angle of perspective - in this case I'd suggest being lower so the camera is at his mum's face level.

Thanks to all for submitting.  Please remember to do so again next week.
--
Emily L. Ferguson
mailto:elf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx