Re: overwhelmed by a project

I agree about the shaving process. I find Bridge really useful for that because I can apply stars.

In your case I'd start by sorting the images by date. Then I'd probably tackle a week, that's 52 tackles per kid Put up a week's worth of shots of a kid, start classifying them by best/least worth bothering. Then drop out the least category and look at the remainder comparing them with the best. Revise your categories so you get rid of another set of not-worth-its. Then start working on the remainder in terms of things like emotional content, liklihood that the image will do best in b&w, connection to the other children, to the adults, to the precious toys/things, any criterion that you can use to justify getting to the number for each week that you decide is your goal.

It's the shaving idea. Eliminate things by criteria until only those which are most satisfying remain. Then go on to the next week etc. until you've finished. Don't be in a hurry, but don't belabor yourself over the not-worth-its. If you bog down, go for a half hour walk. Sleep on it. Celebrate when you pass a milestone - a month, a season, from end-of-summer to Hallow'een. Make your own criteron for what the milestones could be, but set them. Set limits, so you do the work in chunks and feel like you're making progress.

Of course, while you're doing this you're going to grow as a see-er, as an envision-er. You're going to want to go back to the beginning and see if you missed anything, etc. etc. Promise yourself that you won't do that until you get to the end of the three kids.

The images aren't just about the kids' growth. They're inevitably also about yours. Just like them, you cannot ungrow, so do not be ashamed/embarrassed about the images from the beginning that are not as satisfying as those from the end.
--
Emily L. Ferguson
mailto:elf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx