Re: overwhelmed by a project

On Wed, February 15, 2012 09:33, Lea Murphy wrote:

> Has anyone else tackled such a project going backwards over time while
> still continuing to add work to the project on an at-least weekly basis?
>
> If so, how did you manage it?
>
> I sit down to my computer with an hour or two to spare for working on it
> and find I can't settle in and accomplish anything because I don't see a
> clear path through the project.

I've never taken on anything quite that big I don't think (they were on
film, so I didn't have as accurate a count).   I've done at least three
projects going through many hundreds of rolls of film covering a decade of
time, or one project using 700 rolls of film (and a couple of dozen
photographers) that was shot and edited and presented in under a week.

I don't think I can pick out the "right" pictures just independently.  I
have to do it by reference to the alternatives available.  That means I
need to do the selection before I get too deeply into the processing (to
avoid wasting time processing pictures that won't make the final cut).

What I have to do to cope with really big piles is make multiple passes.
First I just reject the hopeless rejects (that's more an issue with film;
I permanently delete those from my digital collection).  Then I make a
second pass skimming ones that really strike me from a particular
collection (shooting session or period of time)

Now, if I have enough of that kind of thing, I stop.  If I don't have
enough, I dig deeper, looking for acceptable photos to use.  For your
project, it seems to me there are some things you *must* include even if
the photo isn't first-rate; but that's your decision, you may feel
differently.

Sometimes I construct sequences over time -- and need to go back to fill
in missing things in the sequence.

Sometimes I see I have a lot of similar photos from a period, and have to
go through and ruthlessly hack those back to a sane number.  (Okay,
usually about 2x a sane number; I'm not too good with the machete).

So -- what works for me is working like a plane rather than like a table
saw;  I shave off layers and go back and shave off more layers, rather
than hacking off a big chunk in one piece.

This seems like it'd be a wonderful gift for the kids; I hope it works out
great!
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info