Re: Members photographs on 11 FEB 2012

Robert G. Earnest -- Butte, Montana -- Getting height and distance to really show in a photo is one of the classic hard things, and this does it well. The direct layering and the aerial perspective work together. And I love the juxtaposition of the major man-made messes (resource extraction of some sort I guess) and the town that's grown up to support it, and the empty plains and mountains, AND the religious icon (inferred from the back, but I'm pretty confident) watching over it all.

Sherie Taylor -- Venice Pier at sunrise -- This does lonely very well, and peaceful. Oceans are always good, and this has some decent waves breaking up the beach.

Dan Mitchell -- Narrowboat -- Elegant little thing! I can see why canals would be made narrow, they were quite expensive to build.

Emily L. Ferguson -- Late spring afternoon, Boston, MA. -- Spring is pretty irrelevant to the buildings. This is a case where what was probably just descriptive when you wrote it (saying when it was shot) is messing things up for me. It's a nice set of planes in different tones, and a nice shadow.

Howard Leigh -- Wet Whitehaven, Cumbria, U.K. -- I see what I got out of it was quite similar to what you saw in it. Yeah, it's depressing. I'm really not used to seeing anything that run-down in an inhabited area (and one thing the people walking by do is make absolutely clear that this area is still inhabited).

John Palcewski -- For Sale -- I like the overall composition, and I guess the woman in the foreground is looking at the man walking in the background -- but she's so related to the merchandise, and she's one of the main subjects of the photo, and that's a bad angle for her face (features nearly gone) and I'd be much happier seeing her eyes (don't have to be looking at the camera).

Bob McCulloch -- Mysterious Island -- Take that, rule of thirds! Since this seems to be about symmetries among other things, this seems a reasonable composition for it. I'm surprised how much it matters to me that the foreground puddle kind of mirrors the island out in the water. And that's my favorite Jules Verne book, so how could I resist?

Christopher Strevens -- Bus crowd -- It's interesting to see the crowd behavior, and interesting to see your comment on the change. The British used to be famous for queuing politely.

The Photoforum Gallery is at <http://people.rit.edu/andpph/gallery.html>. Thanks to everybody participating in the gallery this week!
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info