Re: Upcoming Trip

----- Original Message ----- From: "Galen A Grimes" <gag5@xxxxxxx> To: "List for Photo/Imaging Educators - Professionals - Students" <photoforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, January 29, 2012 8:36 AM
Subject: Upcoming Trip

I'm planning a trip to London in April and I was wondering if anyone can give me both 1) possible warnings about wandering around London snapping photos of everything I see, and 2) any suggestions on things to photograph outside of the usual (i.e., Buckingham Palace, etc.).

The first is so that I don't accidentally make the same mistake I made 2 years ago in Italy when I tried to photograph what I thought was an unusual scene of a police officer on a Segway. The rather irate officer came over and, in a steady stream of what seemed like Italian expletives, made me delete the photo of him. Does anyone know of anything in London that I am not supposed to photograph?

Also, I may also have a chance to take the train into Paris for the day so the same request is made for the City of Lights.

http://photographernotaterrorist.org/

http://www.met.police.uk/about/photography.htm

Photography and Section 43 of the Terrorism Act 2000 :
Officers have the power to stop and search a person who they reasonably suspect to be a terrorist. ...Officers have the power to view digital images contained in mobile telephones or cameras carried by a person searched under S43 of the Terrorism Act 2000 to discover whether the images constitute evidence that the person is involved in terrorism. Officers also have the power to seize and retain any article found during the search which the officer reasonably suspects may constitute evidence that the person is a terrorist. This includes any mobile telephone or camera containing such evidence

I can relate a story a past aquaintance of mine told me, where he - disabled and on a crutch - described how while photographing old buildings and architecture he found himself face down on the street with police yelling at him before taking his camera and lugging him off to a call for a number of hours. Eventually he was interviewed and they offered to release him minus the photos on his camera.. or he could make a complaint. As he was due to leave the country the next day he was advised that under some section of the act, by making a complaint he could be held for a further 72 hours while the complaint was investigated...

He declined the option to complain and left London sore and more than a little angry.. I believe it was some nosy individual who reported him to police for being suspicious (ie, standing still taking pictures)

What rights one may have and how these rights pan out under the circumstances one may find themselves in may be quite different.

I have no personal experience with photography in the UK but here in Oz I make a point of carrying information brochures about the laws and regulations regarding photography in public and of children, another near-tabboo scenario - just in the off chance I face an irate, self righteous clown (whether a private individual or a security officer of some sort) who thinks I should be locked up for having a camera. I've been subjected to harassment in the past and sometimes it comes out of nowhere - the people who anoint themselves guardians of society seem to think badgering and harassing people is a perfectly acceptable way of dealing with whatever they don't like ... like those people who feel it their moral obligation to position their car in front of anyone who may be speeding 'to slow them down' .

From what I hear it's enough of an issue in the UK to make one at least a
little wary, but I guess if you are aware enough of how you may be perceived by those around you, you can modify your behaviour to ensure there's no mistake you are a touring photographer there to make pretty pictures of what you see.

(wanders up to security guard outside the local post office .. "hi there, I'm a visiting photographer from Normalsville and I saw this beautiful building and I'm going to take some pictures of it for an exhibition of my travells but I was reading in this publication from The Met that there's some issues with photographing certain buildings.. is this a millitary installation? 'cause I don't want to break the law or anything by photographing an embassy or anything security related.. it's just a post office, right? oh great! I was going to do a long exposure so people go all streaky and ghost like, here.. like this picture on my phone I took while I was in New York.. it's all artsy and such, but people buy those sorts of things.. just to explain why i'll be setting up a tripod. I'll be out of your hair soon enough, you have a great day "

furtive photographers slinking about will be more of a target than friendly people who introduce themselves and let people know what they're doing.