Upcoming Trip

I'm planning a trip to London in April and I was wondering if anyone can give me both 1) possible warnings about wandering around London snapping photos of everything I see, and 2) any suggestions on things to photograph outside of the usual (i.e., Buckingham Palace, etc.).

The first is so that I don't accidentally make the same mistake I made 2 years ago in Italy when I tried to photograph what I thought was an unusual scene of a police officer on a Segway. The rather irate officer came over and, in a steady stream of what seemed like Italian expletives, made me delete the photo of him. Does anyone know of anything in London that I am not supposed to photograph?

Also, I may also have a chance to take the train into Paris for the day so the same request is made for the City of Lights.

Thank you in advance.

Galen