Re: PF members exhibit on 28/01/12

Forumeers,

Here are my thought concerning the exhibit currently on display at http://people.rit.edu/andpph/gallery.html:

            Emily Ferguson - waiting at Logan

I really like this shot! Logan is busy. This photo denotes isolation and aloneness. The contrast between light and dark, foreground and background, lends to the feeling. Excellent capture.

            Lea Murphy - Bloch Museum interior detail, Kansas City

Another image well composed and executed. I like this a lot! The key for me is the dark line at the bottom which raises the photo from the ordinary to the sublime. It is just a hint of the rest of the world to compare with the delicate whites and grays of the the remainder of the picture. Very good work.

            Sherie Taylor - Venice Pier Sunset

A silhouette with mood. The color is only in the sky (and the sun flare). It works pretty well, but I wonder what would happen if it were done with HDR and just a hint of detail added to the pier and a bit less of the sun obliterating the clouds, water and sand.

            Trevor Cunningham - rise of the planet

Interesting shot. It kind of looks like the chimp is looking wistfully out to sea, reflecting on life, the future and good times yet to come, all the while sitting and enjoying a good drink. I like the debris surrounding the chimp as well. I don't care for the cement holding the rocks too loosely in place, nor do I care for the chimp on the right side of the image, looking out of the photo on the right.But I suspect this is the best composition that could be obtained in this location. It certainly grabs the interest of the viewer. The title of the shot is wonderful.

            Dan Mitchell - Cloisters

There is much to like about this photo: the exposure is good, the detail is good, the man with the cane is excellent. The offcenter location of the camera is okay. But the car at the end of the arches really is a downer for me, as are the steps (?) on the right in the foreground. Like the car, they just seem to be out of place. The color is beautiful.

            Bob McCulloch - Morning Fire

Very pretty sky, but too much black in the foreground and in the upper left for my taste. What brings this out of the ordinary is the lights in the city on the left.

            John Palcewski - Darkroom/Bedroom 1998

Odd costume, as usually the covered/uncovered parts are reversed, but that fact removes the image from the ordinary and creates a "fine art" effect. I like the effect. In fact, I like the whole image. I suspect it is much more interesting in black and white than it would have been in color, for a variety of reasons. The bookcase which contains books, darkroom equipment, and two steins provides an interesting contrast. The pillow on the floor at the left side of the picture is a bit of downer, as it takes away some of the spontaneity of the moment and makes it seem imperfectly contrived. Great shot!!!

            Andrew Davidhazy - White noise

I don't have a clue what I am looking at, but it is a well composed "print." The visual "noise" at the bottom however is distracting. It is bold, stunning and easy to look at for a long time. But I wouldn't put it on my wall because of the visual noise. If I were to pick one of this week's images for my wall, it would be Murphy's submission.

Thanks to Andy, Priscilla and ALL of those who submitted works this week. Overall, it was a most enjoyable viewing experience.

rand