Re: PF members exhibit on NOV 5, '11

On Sun, November 6, 2011 13:32, Don Roberts wrote:

>>> That's interesting.  I've always found the interiors of old churches
>>> fascinating, and I come from a completely non-religious background.
>>> The resources poured into cathedrals and such produced bits of period
>>> architecture that don't exist for any other reason.
>>

>> I always thought all religious fanes were designed to awe and push all
>> our response buttons - irrespective of one's faith.
>>
>> I too am a non follower and find them inspiring, including mosques,
>> and aside from the beauty I also admire the dedication in designing
>> and building such wonderful architecture

> I have to agree with John and Karl but..... I have mixed feelings about
> places of worship.  I especially note that in poor villages in Mexico,
> where some people may live in corrugated sheet homes that the church is
> always resplendent in gold and jewels.  The people have little and yet
> they tithe because the church demands it.  I understand the pride they
> may take in a glorious house of worship and the solace they might
> receive but I still bristle at it.  Probably just me.

Yeah, my actual exposure is mostly to European cathedrals, which are both
very old (i.e. paid for :-) ) and in prosperous places.  So that aspect
doesn't immediately come to the fore in that context for me.

If I were seeing such resplendant things in the midst of poverty I would
probably react somewhat the same way -- to the extent it's really their
choice, okay, though I wonder if it's a smart choice.  A completely
utilitarian budget with no frills is actually kind of deadening, after
all.

Dragaera: http://dragaera.info