Gallery

Cafe Audrey (Sherie Taylor) - First thing I see is the cartoon Audrey patting the old man's red cap. Its cute and I think what great timing catching that. Then the red and green colors of the excessive signage catch my eye and make me think wow, that really ruins the image. Then I notice all the filth on the walkway and the wall. That makes me notice that the edging on the wall is stepped as if this sidewalk is actually slanted more than it appears but the sign and umbrella pole appear almost plumb. Then I momentarily look at the patterns above the window and I notice the upper ledge of the window appears to be slanting down to the right. Parallax might cause that but the camera angle doesn't really seem far enough off center of the window to be causing that. Then I move back to the right and the pretty little symmetrical fan of lines in the back of the chair and the unruly looking lines of its legs. Then finally I see the man's legs both appear to straight and I think he's not walking but posing with head bowed like a show horse. How's that for over-analyzing? I usually like clean, simple composition but now and again I enjoy an image loaded with questions like this.

Interior, York Minster (Dan Mitchell) - I like the mostly soft, pastel colors and the somewhat soft focus. It has an almost impressionistic feel to it. The composition is interesting. There are so many parallel lines and repeated patterns that you really have to pick your shot before shooting. I presume you did that since all the vertical lines are more or less parallel to the edge of the image. When I first look at this image, I am drawn to the right hand row of chairs first and I wish that either the left or right edge of that row formed a line perpendicular to the image edge as the pillars do. I think I would move to the right because that would remove the dark object on the floor which, to me, contrasts too much with the soft feel of the image.  The only real problem I see is the magenta lens flare on each of the bright lights in the upper right corner of the image.

A Native Italian Tastes Mushy American Spaghetti (John Palcewski) - Well I love the lighting and I love that expression on her face. I think I would have liked this more if you had not given it away with the title. I would prefer to make up my own story as to why she has that look of reserved disgust. China plate, crystal wine goblet, silver serving, nice clothes so what's the problem. Her left hand is hidden so we cannot tell if she is married or not. Perhaps she's hiding it on purpose. That's it! The future mother-in-law has just insulted her again! Even after looking at this for about 20 minutes her expression still makes me laugh.

One of my final series of experiments (Chris Strevens) - Well what I want to see is the experiment AFTER the reaction or even during the reaction. I find the composition here a bit unsatisfying. You have nice colors and I like curved lines but it just doesn't really come together for me. However, I suspect your intention was more of an historical record than art. I would have to say that maybe the D50 would better be able to focus than your little Fuji. I presume the purple glowing tube is the main subject and it is a tad out of focus.

The gallery is pretty small these days but the images are entertaining.
Greg