Subject: Re: A request for advice regarding use of pictures
From: Herschel Mair <herschel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, November 07, 2011 7:15 am
To: List for Photo/Imaging Educators - Professionals - Students
<photoforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Password Alert! This message may contain a request for your password. NEVER SEND OR RESPOND TO E-MAIL REQUESTS FOR YOUR PASSWORD. For questions about this alert, please contact the ITS HelpDesk at 585-475-4357 (v), 585-475-2810 (tty), or helpdesk@xxxxxxx.
All this legal stuff is a load of.... Hogswallop!

Are you prepared to hire a legal team and go through the processes of litigation if they use the pics for something else?

You must show that you are in the business of selling images and show what you would have charged for such usage by presenting evidence of past transactions.... And that's about all you'll get

Most likely scenario is that the courts will ask the defendant to stop using the images and to take them down. You might get your legal fees paid for you.

Bottom line?  If you care about usage, KEEP YOUR PICS OFF UNSECURED WEBSITES. Use passwords.

We all have egos and like the idea of millions of people admiring our images but there's a conflict of interest... You want people to admire them but you're afraid someone else may make money out of them.  Heaven forbid!!!

It's like a young girl going out in a tiny mini skirt and then complaining that all men are perverts because they're looking at her legs.

Y O U  W I L L   N E V E R   G E T   R I C H   O U T  OF   A N   I M A G E   S O M E O N E   S T O L E   O F F  T H E   I N T E R N E T.

So let it go... at least these people had the courtesy to ask first! That means they are somewhat ethical. I'd trust them.

Putting a C on the images is not going to make any difference to an image thief who won't ask and you'll never know. It won't be 3M, Gucci or CocaCola using it on a billboard in Times Square.

Herschel