Re: PF members exhibit on 10/29/11

In a message dated 31/10/2011 15:03:16 GMT Standard Time, palcewski@xxxxxxxxx writes:
Just in time for Halloween.   But then that
American entertainment isn't done in the UK, is it?
The two Feast Days, All Saints (aka All Hallows) and All Souls on Nov. 2 were being celebrated in England, and elsewhere for at least a millenium before the Pilgim Fathers crossed the Pond and for quite a while before the time of Amerigo Vespucci.  Bobbing, or ducking, for apples wee among the rustic and homespun entertainments on Halloween - the evening before All Hallows. I doubt pumpkins were in evidence but lanterns were made from turnips.  All Saints was a day for celebrating the lives of all those who had gone to Heaven but who had not been formally recognised by the Church by canonisation.

The supermarkets in Norwich were not packed by people in costume looking for freebie treats unlike the      9 000 or so men women and children who crammed the streets of Rochester MI in costume - in response to the adverts from the local supermarkets. However in the evening various devils, trolls and hobgoblins shopped to buy drinks to take with them to parties.

Trick or Treat does seem to have been imported from the USA but in England we did have Mischief Night when children might indulge in swapping over the gates of houses or tying a strong black thread so as to connect the knockers on the doors of houses which were opposite each other, then knocking on the door of one of the pair.

'Barton Broad'  - lacking the power to walk on water I attempted to minimise the intrusion of the inside of the boat and my companion by increasing the contrast - some you win - some you don't.  At the end of October the shades of night tend to fall quite fast.

Michael in Norwich