Re: PF members exhibit on 10/29/11

On 31-Oct-11, at 10:54 AM, MichaelHughes7A@xxxxxxx wrote:

Trick or Treat does seem to have been imported from the USA but in England we did have Mischief Night when children might indulge in swapping over the gates of houses or tying a strong black thread so as to connect the knockers on the doors of houses which were opposite each other, then knocking on the door of one of the pair.

Michael in Norwich

Michael,

That brought back some fond memories of my childhood in Glasgow (but I haven't quite lost the spirit).

I remember one the joy one of our favourite 'pranks'. We would sneak into someone's back yard, lightly insert a thumbtack a black thread to the top of the window, to which we attached a small black button, then a black thread from the button which 'ran' to the furthest end of the garden.

A gentle tugging of the hand-held tread from that distance would allow for the button to 'chap' against the glass. After a few minutes, the curious resident would then pull the curtains aside and peer out the window to have a 'look-see', at which time we would 'stop'. A few minutes later we would resume the 'tapping'. We would have 'bets' to see how many times the resident would come and have another look before the disturbed and/or angry decided to come out and seek the cause.

On hearing (or seeing) the door opening we would give the thread and button a good 'yank' to remove it before the resident could find it. After smothering our mirth we would run... and then seek another curtained
rear window to continue the process.

Ken

Quando omni flunkus moritati (R. Green)