Re: external hard drives

On Fri, October 14, 2011 06:30, Emily L. Ferguson wrote:

> I can't see the Cloud becoming useful until I have much faster upload
> times.  DSL is way too slow for a shoot in which I have over 6G of
> keepers.  And then there are the security, and power problems with
> the concept.

I've found DSL just fine for upload at that volume level.  I just leave it
running while I sleep.

And DSL rates vary a lot, even the upload direction.

A friend has just found out she can get 30 megabit direct fiber (she
happens to be on the street USI Wireless is putting a fiber trunk down to
service their city-wide wireless service, and they're offering
fiber-to-the-house to people on their route.  I am insanely jealous --
especially since I believe that's a symmetric connection, 30 megabit
upload as well as download.  (They're coming within 3 blocks of me in one
direction and are right on my street in another, but 14 blocks away.)

Dragaera: http://dragaera.info